Newborn Frequent Questions
- When to schedule? The best time to schedule your newborn session is during your pregnancy. We will add your expected due date to our schedule. When that day arrives give us a call and we will finalize your session date. Your session should occur within the first ten days of life.
- Why this early? After two weeks our little newborns lose their womb-like behavior. We want them curly, comfy and ready for some sleepy time. Most of the newborns shown in our gallery are less than 10 days old. If you happen to stumble across our site after the ten day mark we still want to photograph your new love. Don’t hesitate to give us a call with any questions big or small.
- How to dress your newborn? To best capture those fleeting moments of a brand new life, bare skin is preferred with newborns. We have hats, wraps and blankets to use for your session. If you have a special something feel free to include them. We also ask that you provide one simply colored onsie for your in home session such as a soft blue or soft pink. Siblings and parents are always welcome and we look forward to capturing those tender moments.
- What should Mom & Dad wear, or siblings? Your newborn session will be photographed with an intention to capture a simple organic and timeless feel. Our goal is that when you look back at these photos in twenty years they haven’t gone out of style, but are meant to stay classic forever. Because of that it’s important outfits chosen for parents and siblings also reflect a similar look. Parents often wear a fitted t-shirt of a simple color… cream, beige, grey, or black or any earth tones found in nature photograph best. Simple jeans also provide a timeless feel.
- What time of day is best for a newborn session? For most infants, morning is a time where they are still really relaxed and sleepy. There is a prep email we send you a few days before your session to help you best prepare for the session to make sure baby is in the best mood possible.
- How long does a newborn session last? Because we must work on baby’s time schedule and when they will sleep, a newborn session can last anywhere from 1-2 hours.
- Can I bring photo examples from Pinterest to recreate? There is a flow to working with newborns in which we have created poses conducive to baby’s safety as well as comfort. Many of the requests we receive such as putting babies into boots or hanging them in slings are just not very safe. Items made of tulle such as tutus cause baby’s skin to become irritated and make him or her cranky for the remainder of the session which makes it hard for us to finish the rest of the shots. Baby’s safety and comfort is our number one priority, and for that reason we keep photo requests to a 2 pose minimum. We have developed a myriad of beautiful and safe poses in which we will work into your session. Please visit our newborn page for examples of the types of shots we provide.
- We can already smell the newness, and can’t wait to meet your growing family!